THE CHURCH OF S. MARY DIACONISSA, KALENDER HANEH JAMISSI
CLOSE to the eastern end of the aqueduct of Valens3 and to the south of it, in the quarter of the mosque Shahzades is a beautiful Byzantine church, now known as Kalender Haneh Jamissi. It was visited by Gyllius,1 who refers to its beautiful marble revetment—vestita crustis varii marmoris—but has3 unfortunatelys nothing to say concerning its dedication* Since that traveller's time the very existence of the church was forgotten by the Greek community of Constantinople until Paspates2 discovered the building in 1877. But even that indefatigable explorer of the ancient remains of the city could not get access to the interior^ and it was reserved for Dr. Freshfield in 1880 to be the first European visitor since Gyllius to enter the building^ and make its interest and beauty known to the general public.8
The identity of the church is a matter of pure conjecture, for we have no tradition or documentary evidence on that point. Paspates4 suggests that it may have been the sanctuary connected either with the c monastery of Valens and Daudatus,* or with the c monastery near the aqueduct/ establishments in existence before the age of Justinian the Great.5 It cannot be the former, because the monastery of Valens and Daudatus3 which was dedicated to
1 De top. C.P, m. c. 6. 2 P. 351.
s JircAaeologia, vol. Iv. part 2, p. 431. 4 P, 352.
6 Their names appear in the Letter addressed to Menas, by the monks of the city, at the Synod or 536.